Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Vintage Singer Sewing Machine - Update

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Vintage Singer Sewing Machine at an estate sale.  I wrote about it here.  Over the weekend I finally took the time to test the machine.  I was a little concerned because the last machine I picked up at an estate sale was too advanced for my beginning skill level.  And... it didn't come with an instruction manual.  On the first several tests, I broke more than one needle; couldn't figure out the computer... etc. etc. etc...

I'll try to keep this brief; but I'm calling my self a beginner because it has been several years since I sewed.  I took homemaking back in junior high; but I won't say how long ago that was.  Now they call it "Skills for Living".  I admit it does sound less sexist.

Back to my test:

The best lesson I learned when testing the Singer, is "don't use cheap bobbins".  I had purchased cheap bobbins at a dollar store at some point in the past.  And that sucker just flat out didn't work.  After several attempts I finally said to myself "just use one that came with the machine".... and voila


Lower left - Singer; Upper right - cheap
 Since this was a test, I grabbed a scrap of fabric to stitch and was pleasantly surprised.  Yay!!!!  It works..  happy dance! :)  :)  :) 

Almost perfect simple straight stitch
 And the back.... same result.  Now all I have to do is find a creative project to do.  Hopefully I can share something DIY in the near future.

And the back stitch came out pretty good too
#vintage #singer #sewing #thrift
(still not sure I'm doing this hashtag thing right.)

Follow on Bloglovin