Thursday, September 12, 2013

Am I a Sewist Now? Finished Vest

Since I only sew on the weekends, this sewing project took a little more time than I would have preferred.  But being a newbie, I wanted to take my time to really pay attention to the details.  I realized early on that this probably wasn't a beginner project.  That's another reason I took extra time with it.

The main thing I learned is not to cut the pattern out until AFTER you check the measurements.  I learned that the hard way in a FAILED sewing project.  So, with this one I cut out the largest size; which is pretty accurate. 

I checked the cut pattern pieces against my dressform before proceeding to cut the fabric.






Skirt $2.99 @ GW

The front of this project is from the thrifted skirt above.  The back and lining are from thrifted fabric scraps.  All purchased from GW.


After cutting out all of the pieces, and reviewing the instructions I decided not to put on the lapel.  It just seemed difficult and I'm not sure I would like a lapel anyway.  I had forgotten how to transfer darts from the pattern to the fabric; so this was a little bit of a challenge for me.  So, I used some tissue paper to outline the darts for the back.


Then after studying the instructions more, I realized I forgot to cut the lining.  So... pause a couple of weeks until I got around to cutting those pieces.  Meanwhile I was able to attach the interfacing to the designated areas.




And now.... for the finished project.


Front




Front with Lining




Back
  
I saw no instructions to add buttons or hook and eyes; so I assume this vest is to be left open.  There are a few imperfections; but I guess that's to be expected from a beginning sewist.

When the weather gets a little cooler I plan to wear this vest with a long sleeve white button down shirt.  What do you think?  Am I a Sewist now?