Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Painted Vintage Telephone Table

Hello everyone!  I want to thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my blog.  I know I'm not the best photographer in the world; so is the case of someone who suffers from Generalized Anxiety Disorder.  Regardless, I certainly give it a try. 

I've wanted to try furniture makeovers after watching Cash and Cari on HGTV; but like many other hobbies; supplies and tools were a little more than I could handle financially.  So the desire was delayed for a while.  I'm finally getting around to picking up things needed to get some of these long awaited projects completed.

Painted Vintage Telephone Table
(Used as a bedside table.)

Below is a vintage telephone table that I picked up at an estate sale a couple of years ago.  I hand sanded it, then it sat next to my bed for quite a while.  I think I paid $25 for it on 50% off day.




I picked up this previously mixed quart of Valspar Signature paint at my local Lowe's.  I thought the color was pretty; and the closest I could identify it to is Babbling Brook.
Sold as is with no refund was no problem.




I thought I'd be frugal and "smart" by creating my own concoction of paint and plaster of paris.  At first it worked really well; but after just a few minutes the concoction began to dry and thicken up; making it difficult to work with.... as you can see below after an hour or so it even began to separate.  It was a disgusting mess.





But the project wasn't a total loss....  After fighting with the messy glob, I used the paint straight out of the can for the 2nd coat. I'm happy with the color and results.  All that's left is waxing.




I'm not fond of over distressing pieces of funiture.  Do you think this needs a little distressing?  I kind of like it as is. 

Have a wonderful blessed day!
Blondie