Tuesday, February 11, 2014

How to Treat a Boil - Home Remedy

Well friends; I don't have any pictures to share.  You would probably be grossed out by them anyway.  But here is the my story about treating a boil.

My daughter (bless her heart) had what appeared to be a seriously irritated and possibly infected boil on the back of her left calf.  After a couple of weeks with no improvement by leaving it on its own; and the persistent pain it caused her I decided to make a doctor appointment.  Well let me tell you, I was not happy with the doctor's office response.  My daughter rarely gets sick; so the few times she has in the past I've taken her to the Texas Med Clinic; where she gets treated for whatever ails her.  My son and I go to this particular doctor annually for disorders we both have.  Naturally I wanted to take her to the family doctor although she had never seen.  This was a PITA (pain in the a&&).  The receptionist responded by indicating it is their policy to:

1st - have a physical; then make a
2nd - appointment to "LOOK" at the boil; then a
3rd - appointment to "LANCE" the boil (if required)

That's 3 appointments at no telling what expense, not to mention time off work; driving to the doctor, the pain and discomfort continuing for potentially weeks.  So guess what I did?  I "googled" it and came up with a remedy that sounded promising.  The information indicated an ointment called Ichthammol would draw the boil poison out; and I could get it behind the pharmacy counter.

So I went to my local Walgreens, and the pharmacist told me the ointment is no longer available.  The manufacturer is no longer making it.  She even explained (without recommending) that it really does work. So, I researched on-line and realized it can be located at pet or feed stores.  I called the local feed store and YES they had some.  It is used on horses for various ailments.

This is what I used, with tax it only cost around $13.00.  That's a whole lot less than 3 doctor appointments


  (Stock Picture)



Next thing I know; after just one treatment that night; the poison (puss) was drawn to the surface and leaked out mostly on its own.  After just 3 days her leg looks so much better, with only some light bruising.

Disclaimer:  The opinions in this post are my own.  Neither the manufacturer, nor the pharmacy recommended use of this product for treatment for boils.  I do not endorse this product as a replacement for quality health care, so if you use this product - do so at your own risk.